2019 SINGLE PARENT SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
Applications due: June 10, 2019
- High school diploma or GED (minimum required)
- Single head of household (where children age 18 or younger reside)
- Employment (full or part time)
- Siouxland resident for at least two years
- Enrolled or intending to enroll for a minimum of six credit hours in an on-campus or online program at one of the following local college partners:
- Briar Cliff University
- Morningside College
- Northeast Community College – South Sioux City, NE (College Center only)
- St. Luke’s College
- Wayne State College – South Sioux City, NE (College Center only)
- Western Iowa Tech Community College
- Financial need
- Scholastic merit
- Community service/work
- Educational objectives
- Hardship or special circumstances
Applications reviewed and awardees determined by an independent scholarship committee. Finalists are required to attend a personal interview. Additional information may be required to confirm an applicant’s qualifications.
Awards typically range from $1,000 to $5,000 per year. Estimated number of scholarships awarded: Ten
REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION (attach and submit with application)
- High School or GED transcripts OR College transcripts
- Most recent IRS Income Tax Form
- Proof of Single Parent status (court approved custody paperwork, tax returns, etc.)
- Three letters of reference (reference letters must be from previous instructors, pastors, volunteer committee chairs, work supervisors, etc., no family or friends please) (letters of reference do not need to be sealed)
- One-two page essay on your educational and professional goals and their importance to you
- Any special circumstances for consideration
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How are the scholarship payments made? Single Parent Scholarships are for one academic year, with payments sent directly to the college, typically one on August 31 and one January 31.
If I have received a scholarship in the past, am I eligible to apply again? Yes.
What is the “Siouxland Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA)”? Woodbury County, IA, Plymouth County, IA, Dakota County, NE, Dixon County, NE, and Union County, SD.
Is there a Grade Point Average (GPA) required while receiving the scholarship? Yes, a 2.5 overall GPA is required.
What is the minimum number of credits I must register for to be eligible? Six credit hours.
Where do I turn my completed application and copies in to? Completed applications can be turned in to either Women Aware or United Way of Siouxland. Applications are due by 5:00pm CDT on June 10, 2019.
Please contact Women Aware at 712-258-4174 with questions.