United Way of Siouxland’s Women’s Power Lunch & Women Aware
2020 SINGLE PARENT SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
Applications due: June 10, 2020
- High school diploma or GED / HiSET (minimum required)
- Single head of household (where children age 18 or younger reside)
- Employment (full or part time)
- Siouxland resident for at least the last two years
- Enrolled or intending to enroll for a minimum of six credit hours in an on-campus or online program at one of the following local college partners:
- Briar Cliff University
- Buena Vista University (WITCC Campus Only)
- Morningside College
- Northeast Community College – South Sioux City, NE (College Center only)
- St. Luke’s College
- Wayne State College – South Sioux City, NE (College Center only)
- Western Iowa Tech Community College
- Financial need
- Scholastic merit
- Community service/work
- Educational objectives
- Hardship or special circumstances
Applications reviewed and awardees determined by an independent scholarship committee. Finalists are required to attend a personal interview. Additional information may be required to confirm an applicant’s qualifications.
Awards typically range from $1,000 to $5,000 per year. Estimated number of scholarships awarded: Ten
REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION (attach and submit with application)
- High School transcripts or GED/HiSET completion certificate and final test scores OR College transcripts from all colleges attended
- Most recent IRS Income Tax Forms:
- Form 1040: First page
- Schedule 3: Page “Nonrefundable Credits” (optional)
- Schedule EIC Earned Income Credit one page (one page)
- Schedule 8812- “Additional Child Tax Credit” (optional)
- Form 2441 “Child and Dependent Care Expenses” (2 pages).
- Proof of Single Parent status (For example: court approved custody paperwork, tax returns, DHS paperwork (FIP), Food Stamps (EBT) monthly letter, Medicaid Statements, etc.)
- Three professional letters of reference on letterhead (reference letters must be from previous instructors, pastors, volunteer committee chairs, work supervisors, etc., no family or friends) (letters of reference do not need to be sealed)
- One-two page essay on your educational and professional goals and their importance to you
- Any special circumstances for consideration
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How are the scholarship payments made? Single Parent Scholarships are for one academic year, with payments sent directly to the college, typically one on August 31 and one January 31.
If I have received a scholarship in the past, am I eligible to apply again? Yes.
What is the “Siouxland Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA)”? Woodbury County, IA, Plymouth County, IA, Dakota County, NE, Dixon County, NE, and Union County, SD.
Is there a Grade Point Average (GPA) required while receiving the scholarship? Yes, a 2.5 overall Cumulative GPA is required upon submission of this application and to receive the grant for the second semester payment as well.
What is the minimum number of credits I must register for to be eligible? Six credit hours.
Please contact Kristine at Women Aware at 712-258-4174 with any other questions.