The purpose of the Siouxland Recovery Fund is to provide financial resources to help meet short, intermediate and long term needs for recovery in the Siouxland area when a major disaster strikes. The fund was activated March 19, 2020 to aid in the recovery efforts for those impacted by COVID-19. All funds collected during this time will be used to help those efforts.
Contributions can be made to the Siouxland Recovery Fund online via PayPal using the link above, or at any Security National Bank or Wells Fargo Bank via drop box or overnight depsit box location throughout Siouxland. Donations may also be mailed to the Siouxland Recovery Fund c/o United Way of Siouxland at 701 Steuben St. Sioux City, IA 51101.
Organizations who have provided direct services throughout the COVID-19 pandemic are encouraged to apply for a grant under the priority area Rebuilding Nonprofit Stability. This keemly competitive priority is intended for substantially devastate, highly effective organizations that provide:
- vital human services impacting community recovery efforts or,
- key cultural offerings that impact community economic recovery
Requests in this category should target a specific achievable need and be clearly focused as to how this request helps organizations carry out their organizational mission.
Grant requests should target activities that will not be reimbursed by public agencies or insurance.
A training was held in early July for potential grant applicants. To access the training materials, click here.
Siouxland Recovery Fund Grant Report form can be found here.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Siouxland Recovery Fund can be found here.
Guidelines for a grant from the Siouxland Recovery Fund can be found here.
For more information or questions about the Recovery Fund, email Heather Hennings at email@example.com or call 712-255-3551.
To date, we've awarded the following grants to organizations who are providing direct assistance to our community during this time:
- Food Bank of Siouxland ($25,000) Emergency Food Supplementation
- Mary J. Treglia Community House ($5,000) Virtual COVID-19 Tutorials in Multiple Languages
- Siouxland Mental Health Center ($4,200) Mental Health Matters, Telehealth Licenses
- Sunnybrook Hope Center ($18,000) Drive Thru Pantry
- The Salvation Army ($25,000) Food Pantry & Emergency Assistance
- Women Aware ($10,000) Siouxlanders in Transition: Emergency Assistance & Breaking the Cycle
- The Warming Shelter ($5,500) Showers for the Homeless
- Sioux City Community Assistance ($16,000) Fresh Start Home Kits
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Siouxland ($7,550) Delivering Food to Boys & Girls Clubs Members & Families
- Dakota County Voices for Food ($5,000) Food Security Project
- Siouxland Center for Active Generations ($4,140) Infectious Disease Prevention Grant
- Council on Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence (11,375) Safety and Recovery for Domestic Abuse Victims During the Pandemic
- Westminster Presbyterian Church ($4,050) Morningside Neighborhood Food Cupboard
- Growing Community Connections ($5,000) Dakota County Community Response COVID Relief
- Morningside Lutheran Church ($5,000) Food Pantry
- Heartland Counseling Services, Inc. ($5,000) The Life Center Wrap-Around Services
- Rejoice! Community Church ($6,000) Food Pantry
- Community Action Agency ($7,000) Personal Protective Equipment for Siouxland Non-Profits
- LaunchPAD Children's Museum ($12,631) Siouxland's Children's Mental Health & Education Emergency Response due to COVID-19
- Boys and Girls Home of Nebraska ($5,000) Siouxland Family Center Emergency Food Assistance Program
United Way of Siouxland is meeting regularly with local organizations to determine the needs and ways for people to help. The pictures BELOW are links to the Special Editions of the United Way Newsletter, with helpful information and COVID-19 updates.
As of Mid-March here are food services being provided:
Mental Health Services:
Catholic Charities | Assistance to anyone regardless of age or religious preference |
712-252-4547 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Boys and Girls Home and Family Services | Mental health services to individuals of all ages and backgrounds | 712-293-4700
Heartland Counseling Services, Inc. | Provides a wide range of services to anyone, has multilingual services available and telehealth therapy | 402-494-3337 CRISIS LINE: 402-494-7655
Siouxland Mental Health Center | Offering Psychiatry, Therapy and Community Support services to all, regardless of ability to pay | 712-252-3871
If you need assistance finding food, paying housing bills, accessing childcare or other essential services, contact 211
FREE Prescription Discount Program
United Way of Siouxland has partnered with FamilyWize Prescription Discount Card. Cards are free and can be used on phone orders and with some insurances. Get your free card today at: familywize.org
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Food Bank of Siouxland volunteers - pack and distribute family food boxes - call 712-255-9741 to volunteer
**Please DO NOT hold food drives for Food Bank of Siouxland - if you want to help you can provide a monetary donation
Purchase baby items such as formula, diapers and wipes and donate them to agencies including: Community Action Agency, Crittenton Center, and Lutheran Services in Iowa
Donate cleaning supplies to nonprofits providing one-on-one services
Donate blood by going to LifeServe Blood Center
Donate to United Way of Siouxland as we forsee needs increasing as the situation progresses