Throughout the month of April, United Way, in partnership with D2's Books for Budding Brains and Prime Age to Engage, will be collecting books for children ages 0-5. This is a continued effort to promote early childhood literacy in Siouxland.
The Goal: To collect over 12,000 new & gently used children's books throughout the month of April. These will be distributed to local children during wellness check-ups. Over the past year, dozens of local children’s physicians have agreed to become partners in the effort to increase literacy in our community. When a child comes in for their check-up, parents are asked whether they read to their child and the family can choose a book from a library to take home along with tips to make reading fun.
How You Can Help: Bring your new or gently used children's books to any of the below drop off points.
- Book People
- Sioux City City Hall
- Blessed Teresa Church
- Central Bank (All Sioux City locations and Dakota Dunes)
- D2 (North Sioux City)
- Dakota Dunes Community Association
- Dakota Valley Library
- Elk Point United Parish
- Elk Point-Jefferson School District
- Fareway Grocery (Riverside Location)
- Fairfield Inn & Suites
- Balcon Enterprises (Elk Point)
- North Sioux City Community Library
- Sacred Heart Church
- Sir Cuts
- St. Joseph Church (Elk Point)
- St. Peter's Church (Jefferson)
- Siouxland District Health Department
- Wellington at the Dunes
- United Way of Siouxland Office
Thank you to the following sponsors:
A poster for the Books for Budding Brains book drive can be found here.
If your organization would like to run an internal book drive, sign up here.